04 September 2011

Happy Sunday: God is Our Father (or Moving Mount Timp: Part Two)

There are  not many places where I feel nearer to my Heavenly Father than when I am in nature.  Surrounded by His awe-inspiring creations.  Enveloped between majestic mountain peaks and crashing waterfalls, I feel so small yet so significant.  Significant to Him, because He created me with even more care and love than He created the breathtaking art forms all around me.  As His precious sons and daughters, we are his greatest masterpieces.  And he loves us more than anything.

Last week I attempted to hike up Mount Timpanogos---the stunning mountain that looms over Provo and has been calling my name ever since I had a post-card view of it from my 7th-floor dorm room Freshman year.  We left at midnight, aiming to reach the summit in time to watch the sun rise.

I was a ball of fire until about 5:00 a.m.  With only a couple more hours to go, the fact that I would normally have been sleeping at this time hit me like a ton of bricks.  Crazy how fatigued you can get after being awake for 24 hours.  Just add scrambling over rocks and ice for several miles, and you've got yourself a straight up zombie.  Named Sarah.  Who could no longer see straight nor lift her foot high enough to clear a pine needle.

So, as much as it kills me to admit it, I headed back down the mountain (after collapsing in a bush and eating the breakfast burrito I had planned to enjoy in the company of the sunrise).  Those who know me understand that it seriously pains me to not finish something that I've started.  I felt LAME.  Which is why I am here, one week later, preparing to do it all over again!  It's like childbirth.  You magically forget how much it sucked the first time.  Perhaps this is one reason why I feel so close to God.  He always seems to be right in the middle of our throws of pain and peaks of joy.

Tomorrow I plan on sleeping as soon as I get home from church and taking off up that blasted mountain some time during the night.  And as a Labor Day gift to myself, I will conquer it.


1 comment: