25 March 2012

Happy Sunday: Finishing the course and keeping the faith

Today's Happy Sunday post is a shout-out and hats off to the most hardcore roommate I know.  Lila finished the Antelope Island 50-miler yesterday and never looked better!


As I eagerly awaited her arrival into the 33-mile aid station (where I tracked her down after manning the Main Gate and issuing packets to loads of bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, and most likely deranged runners--seriously, people, 4:30 a.m.? 50 miles? Are you sick?), I was a little taken aback.  I watched as various runners--some haggard and mangled, some seemingly unfazed by the arduousness of 33 miles and 17 remaining--I was so impressed at what these people set out to accomplish.  For what, like, a free mug that says Antelope Island Buffalo Run?  The only way you could get me to run 50 miles is if I was running from buffaloes.  And the buffaloes would have to be rabid and I would have to be the only woman left on Earth and therefore the only hope of continuing the human race.  Only then.

But that is beside the point.

I thought about what motivates these people. What motivates anyone to endure discomfort and push through to the finish of any challenging task? Because the ends justify the means.  The satisfaction and joy of accomplishment outweigh the pain of the journey.  Why else would we take on life as we know it?  It's no easy task.  But we know there is a higher cause, a reason for this mortal life, a  purpose to the trials that it thrusts upon us.  We are becoming something great.  Something God sees in us and which we only catch glimpses of from time to time, but which nevertheless spur us on to finish the race that we've started.

For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth, there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)   


So much more than a mug.


No comments:

Post a Comment