24 March 2013

Happy Sunday: Perfection


I heard this insight about perfection today.  

The girl sharing the comment more or less said that being a perfectionist is a sin, in the sense that perfectionism is self-absorbed, rather than Christ-centered. A perfectionist relies solely on himself and his own capabilities, therefore eliminating the assistance of the Atonement and the whole idea that we are made perfect through Christ. 

In the Book of Mormon it says: "Come unto Christ and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then his grace is sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God." (Moroni 10:32)

Perfectionists base their worth and success on an imaginary idea that humans, acting by their mortal power alone, can be perfect. And they measure their progress according to what they deem is better or "more perfect" in others. 

Let us not be perfectionists but rather come unto Christ and strive for perfection, recognizing that we are inherently weak and that it is only in and through Christ's Atonement that we can be made strong. 

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)  

I feel like this would significantly decrease the amount of stressed out people in this mad world.
For more fantastic Pinterest fails, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment