26 February 2011

You got JIMMERED!


As a penny-pinching freshman at BYU, I wanted to get the most out of my $100 All-Sports Pass when football wasn't in season. So I went to games that I wouldn't typically go to, like soccer, volleyball, and basketball. And that's when I fell in love with BYU basketball. It made me realize just how boring football is (sorry, but I'm much too A.D.D. for the stop and go of that game). Throughout my sophomore and junior years I continued to follow Cougar basketball, to the point of getting a job at the Marriott Center (our home court) so I could watch the games for free before having to mop between roughly 3,000 rows of bleachers until the wee hours of the morning.

Before my mission, Jimmer Fredette was talked about. 18 months later, the kid basically rivals Lady Gaga in celebrity status! He's a machine. He shoots (and makes!) baskets from like China, or farther. And he's currently the top NCAA scorer. I couldn't have picked a better time to come back
to America! [IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO JIMMER IS, GET WITH IT, PEEPS! Watch this. Oh, BYU humor...]

One of the first major events on my road back to post-mission normalcy was when I waited in the stand-by line for 4 hours with my friend Jakob, attempting to get into the sold-out BYU vs. San Diego State game. BYU was #9, SDSU was #4. Big game, folks. Well, long story short: we got in, the game was nothing less than exhilarating, and we crushed the Aztecs by 13 points. Poor kids thought they were unstoppable! They were previously undefeated, until they got JIMMERED!

Flash-forward to...TODAY: the Cougs played SDSU again, this time with their home-court advantage (not to mention the fact that they wanted hardcore revenge). Not gonna lie, I was skurred! Annie and I went to Legend's Grill (on campus) to watch the game on the big screen. SICKEST GAME EVER! Simply put, I am EXTREMELY proud to be a Cougar. Click here to watch him score a record 49 points in one game against Arizona this season. Like I said, the kid is a machine!


Tonight we hit up a karaoke bar in Salt Lake. It was another one of those defining moments of post-mission adjustment and, might I add, made me proud to call these crazy people my friends. Check me out in my Jimmer shirt ["YEAH, he shoots from there!"].

No comments:

Post a Comment